Friday, October 3, 2008

A Tough Balancing Act


In class on Wednesday we discussed the importance of being an effective parent. A parent should be involved in their child's social and academic lives. The extent to which a parent is involved may vary and depends on numerous factors including age and maturity of the child to name a few. It is a tough balancing act for a parent because you do not want to be too involved in either your child's academic and social lives but a lack of involvement in either of these areas may be problematic as well. I feel blessed to have the type of parents that I have because I think you were involved at just the right intensity level. We were able to bond as friends but I respected them as the authority in my house. I felt comfortable talking them about profound or taboo topics and they felt comfortable discussing these topics with me as well. On top of this, my parents were a positive motivating influence in my academic life and were also more than willing (my dad may have been too willing) to lend a helping hand with studying or homework or even just advice on life in general. I hope my students have similar parents to mine because I feel this would make the classroom a more productive environment and thus make my job easier. This may be a selfish way of looking at things but good parents like mine I feel will lead to the greater well-being and success and happiness of my students which would be great! This balancing act that parents have the privilege of playing is one that I feel teachers may also be able to play. A teacher may have to balance the level of homework they give in a class to compromise for the different types of students in a class. A teacher may also have to balance their role as an authoritarian and as an almost "friend-like" companion or role model. I look forward to juggling this complex balancing-act and I hope that as a teacher I will be able to master this skill and perhaps even juggle while on a unicycle. In fact, this is my dream for all teachers, parents, and students: that they can learn to balance all that life throws at everyone and succeed in their role as a teacher, student, or parent, and human in general.

1 comment:

Educational Psychology said...

I feel like I had good parents who helped me get to where I am, but I know that not all kids have involved parents. It will be tough to help kids who have parents who don't even want to help their own kids out, but it's something we need to be able to do well as teachers.