Friday, March 12, 2010

International Students

Usually procrastination ends up causing more harm than good but I am glad that I put off my blog for this week until after class today. We have had numerous discussions about assimilation and its role or lack there of in schools but I do not feel that I have developed much as a future teacher, current student, or lifelong learner as a result of any of these discussions but class was really interesting today. Jim and Will asked some international students here at Luther to join us. The international students' responses to our questions really provided me with food for thought as well as food for blog. One of the students was from Ghana. He attended a rigorous all-male boarding school in Ghana's capitol city before transferring to Marshalltown, Iowa for his senior year of high school. The other student, a senior at Luther, is from Japan but attended an international school in Japan since she was 2. Both students provided very interesting insight into their own assimilation and adjustment to Luther College. It was fun to hear.

No comments: